The Distracted Couple: The Impact of ADHD on Adult Relationships is the brain child of editors Larry Maucieri and Jon Carlson, who wanted to put together a reference guide for mental health professionals working with couples impacted by ADHD. And even though this book was created with therapists, counselors, and other mental health clinicians in mind, I think it’s a great tool for coaches, too, even some savvy ADHDers, themselves!
Edward (Ned) Hallowell, MD says that The Distracted Couple is “A treasure trove of clinical facts, pearls of wisdom, and theories sure to enrich, inform, and energize the practice of anyone who works with couples. Highly recommended!”
The book begins by covering the ADHD diagnosis and how it can impact couples, then delves into the issues facing specific populations, such as women, African Americans, and same sex couples, and concludes with treatment suggestions and solutions for common challenges.
The Distracted Couple features informative, strategy-filled chapters written by some of the top experts in the world of ADHD, including:
- What ADHD Looks Like in Your Practice by Melissa Orlov, AB
- African American Couples & ADHD: A Multilevel Approach by Stephanie Brooks, PhD and Roberta Waite, EdD
- Working with Same Sex Couples in ADHD Impacted Relationships by (yours truly!) Jennifer Koretsky, SCAC
- Addressing Executive Weaknesses to Improve Relationship Functioning by Ari Tuckman, PsyD
- The Impact of ADHD on the Other Partner by Susan Tschudi, MA
- The Cost of ADHD for Couples by Stephanie Moulton Sarkis, PhD
- And other contributions by Pat Love, EdD; Larry Maucieri, PhD; Jon Carlson, PsyD; Linda Roggli, PCC; and Gerald Gluck, PhD
The book is a fantastic educational resource for clinicians who may not be as familiar with ADHD, and a great resource for those of us who are. I hope you’ll check out The Distracted Couple in your local bookstore or on Amazon!